How Fireplace Inserts Work
A fireplace insert is essentially a steel box set inside another steel box that is inserted into a masonry fireplace. Fireplace inserts greatly enhance the efficiency and safety of masonry fireplaces. Traditional fireplaces are not inherently efficient. The efficiency rating of a standard masonry fireplace is between 5-10%. It’s even possible for a fireplace to pull more heat out of your home than it provides when a fire is burning.
How Fireplace Inserts Work
A fireplace insert features a blower that pulls in room temperature air between in interior and exterior steel box and blows hot air back into the room. With a gasketed-sealed glass door, no smoke can come into the room from the fire. Fireplace inserts feature airflow controls that allow you to control oxygen available to the fire thus controlling how quickly it burns.
There are some key benefits to fireplace inserts that make them attractive options for both wood-burning and gas fireplaces.
Benefits of Fireplace Inserts
- Heating Efficiency: A fireplace insert is more efficient than masonry fireplaces at providing heat back into the room and throughout your home. During the cold months, this can help lower your heating bill significantly.
- Fuel Efficiency: Increased efficiency and control over the fire means less fuel consumption. A fireplace insert will consume 1/3 of the wood of a masonry fireplace. One fire can burn up to 12 hours in a fireplace insert.
- Eliminate Smoke & Air Leakage: With a gasketed sealed door, fireplace inserts prevent smoke from coming back into the room, which is not only undesirable, it can also be dangerous.
- Reduced Ash content: Burn slower and with less fuel means less ash content and creosote. Creosote can build up on the interior of your flue and chimney and is a fire-hazard
- Enhances Fireplace Appearance: A modern fireplace insert can enhance the appearance of your fireplace. Check out some of the enhanced designed fireplace inserts can provide
If you are interested in learning more about fireplace inserts or getting a quote on installation, contact us today.
Cleaned our chimney and on a separate occasion was able to repair cracked stucco, power wash, and paint the chimney, which looks like new. When looking for a team I was surprised to see so many good reviews, but after using them I understand why. Great work, super great people. Would recommend and would use again!Janelle B.
I reached out to Joe to take a look at the fireplace/chimney in the 100 year old house we recently purchased. He took his time evaluating everything, taking pictures, and overall being really thorough. He gave me a helpful view into some of the damage the previous owners had done as well as a range of solutions (from free steps I could take to purchasing and installing a new insert). We spent a few weeks...Emma L.
Overall experience was excellent with Chimney Scientists. From scheduling the appointment to the actual job, everything went great. Ben and Lindsay were very knowledgeable, thorough, patient and answered all of my questions. We had them inspect our gas fireplace and chimney which hadn’t been used in at least 3 years. It’s been working great since. Would definitely hire them again and would request Ben and Lindsay.Phil B.